Carbon Monoxide awareness how to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and poisonous gas, which is sometimes fatal. It develops from the incomplete combustion of solid fossil fuels such as oil, turf, gas or coal is a common source of CO(Carbon Monoxide) and is responsible for many cases of non-fatal unintentional CO poisoning. Each year in Ireland 1 or 2 people die from unintentional CO poisoning in the home in incidents related to the burning of fossil fuels.
Carbon Monoxide accumulate in the home as a result of any the following:
- Poorly installed, faulty or damaged heating appliances.
- Heating appliance not maintained or serviced regularly.
- Poor ventilated in rooms.
- Blocked chimneys or flues get your chimney cleaned regularly.
- Use of a barbecue grill or outdoor heater indoors.
- Engines being used in garage or shed such as vehicles or lawnmowers.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu. They may include:
- Nausea or vomiting, Shortness of breath, Confusion, Blurred vision, Loss of consciousness.
- Headaches, Chest pains or Muscular pains/weakness
- Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains
- Sudden dizziness when standing up
- General lethargy (lack of energy and enthusiasm)
If you or anyone in your house has any of the symptoms outlined above get fresh air immediately, talk to your doctor as soon as possible and ask him or her to check for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
If you find a person ill or unconscious near any fuel burning appliance, be careful in case you also become a casualty. Get fresh air immediately by opening windows and doors and seek urgent medical attention.
Stop using the appliance immediately and do not use it again until it has been checked by a registered installer or a qualified service agent.
Ask Fire Safety Cork to provide you a quote